Wednesday 17 August 2011

In Bangkok...yep, again!

Ok, the flight was veery bumpy! But I have to say the in flight entertainment is definitely much better than the last time I flew with BA and the food wasn't as revolting.
One down, 7 more to go before arriving back home.
It's a long way to Tipperary.
We were early so I had time to walk in the arrival hall at the airport before the representative from the hotel I'm staying in arrived to pick me up.
Remembering how much Steve was struggling with the tipping system at the beginning of our trip to Nepal and India I immediately looked for an ATM in order to collect some Thai Baths.
The problem is that they always give you large notes, like 30$ a piece and you can't possibly tip that, it's the price of the hotel room!
So I went to a small grocery store and bought some water (remembering also that the taste of the free water at the hotel was a bit odd) to get my change.
Now I'm good to go.
Right on time, as soon as I got back I found the guy from the hotel waiting for me.
5 minutes ride and I'm in my room now, stripped down to singlet and shorts since the temperature here is obviously much higher than back in Sydney, although it's raining outside.
I've already arranged for a drop off at the airport tomorrow night so that I will have some time to explore the area in the afternoon.
It should be interesting as there's always some market full of amazing food and countless possibilities for photos.
Although I'm still very sad to be away from home, I'm trying not to get whiny and make the most of this.
South-East Asia is possibly one of my favourite regions in the world!
The colours, the smells, the hassle of the markets, the architecture, the monks wearing saffron coloured robes, the motorbikes swinging in the traffic with 3 kids and 1 adult on board, the pink tuk tuks, the gold everywhere.
All these little things contribute to render the atmosphere of a warm country, green and luscious  with vegetation constellated with chalk white temples with wonderful red roofs and orange steps with the majestic Nagas at their sides, the regal snakes protecting the sanctity of the place.
The first time I was here it was the time I met Steve and I will always think of Bangkok with fondness for that.
We were both impressed by the richness of details that could be found anywhere in the Royal Palace.
We gaped in awe at the Reclining Buddha and bowed with respect at the Jade Buddha.
We savoured the green curry rice and tried the gorgeous Pad Thai.... jeez, I'm getting hungry now!
Anyway, time to go to sleep, it is past 3.30 AM for me and last night I couldn't sleep at all so I better get some rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment