Wednesday 15 June 2011

Traveler if you are in Kathmandu, go to Bungamati!!

Had never heard of it before. In the LP it's mentioned of course but only for half a page and there's no map.
We were told by the hotel owner to go there and make sure to walk to Kokhana as well.
Since he was right about all the other recommendations he gave us we decided to trust him and ventured off the beaten track.
We were dropped off by the taxi driver in what looked like the main square with a few buses and chickens and ducks and a few locals staring curiously at us.
It was drizzling as well and it didn't feel too comforting, but we powered on and were told at the last moment by the taxi driver to go "that way"...generically indicating on the left side of the square.
So we did and we ended up in front of one of the most beautiful temples! No one around, just us and this piece of art. We obviously started shooting with our cameras and were soon approached by a nice old man eager to practice his english. He explained to us that that temple was dedicated to Rado Machendranath (I don't have the guide with me right now so I hope the spelling is correct otherwise I apologise for it).
Said character lived 6 months in Patan and 6 months in Bungamati and he was due back in 2 weeks time.
The old man pointed out it would have been interesting for us to go there again when this will happen.
We promised we will think about it.
We then decided to make our way to Kokhana but didn't really know which way to go so I dared approach a couple of women lifting water up a well with a bucket and a rope.
Huge smiles when I tried my best Namaste! They seemed eager to show me how deep the well was so I looked down and almost gasped in shock! It was never ending! Well, almost, but really it was deep! They laughed at my surprise and I decided then it would have been a good moment to try my Nepalese since they were already making fun of me. I asked them which direction for Kokhana and they indicated to the left. Thank you and off we go again!
We walked through lush rice terraces, where locals were working hard and smiling as we greeted them with our awkward Namaste!
We felt at peace with nature and very much the adventurers since we were quite sure there was no tourist around for many km.
When we had enough of it we turned back and took a local bus to Patan.
The bus experience was also a must, we sat next to a girl who politely asked us our names and where we come from and told me my name is pretty (I wish I agreed with her, I've always hated it).
I definitely recommend Bungamati to anyone who wants to go a bit off the beaten track without getting lost and everyone who wants to witness the remaining Newari culture in a place where time has stopped!

No comments:

Post a Comment