Saturday 11 June 2011

Bangkok part II and flying to Kathmandu

In Bangkok airport waiting for our connecting flight to Kathmandu.
I stopped counting the times I’ve been to this airport. It’s a major hub in Asia, but it’s also a kind of an unavoidable stop over whenever you fly from Sydney to Europe. Ok, you could fly to Singapore, but then the flight out of Singapore to Europe would be too long (once it took me almost 17 hours to reach London, combination of bad weather and some technical problem). Or you could fly to Hong Kong, but then if you’re staying over for the night the hotel is going to cost you a kidney, unless you trust yourself to sleep in a hostel that received a very low score of safety on both tripadvisor and hostelworld. Or you could fly to Kuala Lumpur, especially if you then have to fly to Amsterdam, and we did it a couple of times, but I’ve been to Kuala Lumpur already 4 times and in the end I always return to Bangkok, no matter how much I whine about it. Truth is, I like Bangkok! It’s a modern Asian city bustling with activity, micro-activity really, cause everything reminds me of a lilliput world, not because people are small but because it’s all so tidy, neat, organised, everything is in motion and it’s got its own rhythm. There’s golden statues everywhere, representing many buddhist deities, in a very original way that you won’t find anywhere else in Asia. Maybe the laotian style could be compared to the thai, but not entirely.  Pagodas and palaces are gorgeous and very richly decorated with shiny gold paint and encrusted with gems of all colours. The roofs are red or green or even deep blue, the stairs leading to an entrance are always sidled by two impressive nagas (snakes), often painted in white and threatening but at the same time majestic in their size, almost alive with their severe expression. It always struck me how paints here are so thick and shiny, the white is chalk white to achieve more contrast with the yellows (shifting towards the orange) and the green and blues. Even in a cloudy day everything is splendent. 
While flying from Bangkok to Kathmandu I had to put down the book I’m reading. Almost dumped it as a matter tof fact, thought about leaving it behind as I step out of the plane.
Just couldn’t stand any more of the writer’s whining!!!
If you hate India that much just go back to your safe and posh eastern suburbs house on the seaside!
YES I have been to India before.
I have seen the people literally living on the street. I have smelled the peeing and the pooing, I have heard the croaking spitting, I have been touched, tugged and pushed and shoved and pulled by beggars and salesmen. I have been ripped off with fake notes , I have had to pay the tourist fares, 10 times more expensive than the locals’. I have stayed in extremely noisy hotel rooms. I have tried to cross the roads many times to no avail. I have witnessed the crowds, the cruelty, the mayhem. 
But you know what?
I’ve also sat on the filthy floor on a 15 hours night train from Quindao to Beijing wondering why I was the only one taking the space close to the exit door. Only to understand too late that I was sitting next to what all adults considered a public urinal and all children took as a potty training spot.
I have tried to cross the road in Hanoi so many times without making it further than a couple of metres that an old man took pity on me and helped me get safely to the other side while holding my hand.
I have been pushed and pulled an shoved and yelled at in Khao San rd.
I have cried my eyes out watching the photos of cambodians being tortured in Tuol Sleng.
I got lost at 3 AM in Kathmandu with no soul in sight a part from some very drunk and not so friendly teen agers.
I have seen pilgrims littering the path to the Fuji all the way to the top.
I have seen animals kept in the worst and most cruel conditions in a zoo in Guilin.
I could go on for a while, but enough said.
What I mean is that when you’re traveling you have to expect things to be different. After all, isn’t that the main reason why you’re traveling?
Unless of course your idea of travel involves a heavenly beach sunset while sipping a cocktail.
To each their own and I’ve done that too, nothing wrong with that at all.
But at least I don’t complain at diversity when I stumble upon it. Who am I to judge anyway?
I’m sure millions of tourists have had bad experiences in Italy!
I remember once a dutch lady who recoiled in horror when I told her I was from Italy.
Turns out she was mugged in Venice and now she thinks all Italians are criminals.
I kindly explained that I’m not a thief, and no, I don’t work in a pizzeria, I don’t drink coffee (can’t) and I’m not too fond of Opera even though my dad drags me there every time I go back to his place.
On the other hand I do love pasta, I do talk loud (only way to be heard) and I don’t think there’s anything wrong in wearing sunglasses indoors.
Point is, no matter where you are, there will always be good people and bad people.
And what you bring back with you from your travels depends entirely on your attitude.
You can actually choose to ignore the stench of human waste (takes a bit of training I admit it) and concentrate on the blissful smell of burning incense and candles, the spices, the local food.
You can look at the shiny coloured textiles, the fine arts of the temples, the smile of the people.
I’m absolutely not saying it’s all roses, I am well aware of all the troubles. I’m just saying that there’s a LOT of beauty too and noticing that beauty is the only way to make the most out of your dollar!

No comments:

Post a Comment