Wednesday 22 June 2011

First impressions of India

When researching a trip to India, as a first timer, you of course realise that it is going to be a significant culture shock in terms of population, poverty, the possibility of the dreaded Delhi belly etc etc, but you are not quite sure of how you will react and cope when you arrive. To my benefit, Silvia had been there before, thus I had more of an insight. Having been in India for a few days now, I must admit that I have felt a range of emotions; from awe while visiting the Taj Mahal to complete and utter frustration while negotiating prices for  tuks tuks; from confusion to joy and many many others in between. But, upon reflection, it was always going to be like this and, I guess this is a part of India's charm.
I don't know how many times we have said "no thanks" to locals demanding money with offers of postcards; viewing dancing monkeys; snake charmers; miniature chess boards; musical instruments and our old favourite of I will take you to this shop which only sells authentic stuff, and being driven to the point of aggrevation. But once again I expected that. What I didn't expect however, was the amazing vibrant colours of India as well as the sheer magnificance of the sights. All have been well above what I would have imagined. When you are within these sights you soak it all in and are constantly taking photos, but when you leave reality hits again and you have to deal with masses of humanity, many people sleeping on footpaths or beggars pushing through traffic and tapping on your car window seeking money. And don't get me started on tipping.
In essence, India is obviously not an ideal tour destination for everyone, but seemingly, with a great deal of patience and an acceptance of the fact that "it is what it is" then the rewards can certainly make it a memorable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment