Wednesday 20 April 2011

7 weeks to go yeay!

Yesterday we received confirmation that our deposit arrived in Nepal and therefore our trip was secured!
It really feels like we're going! We're slowly crossing out stuff to do from the long list and I'm kind of worried that I won't be able to read all the books we bought before actually going there.
I was appalled at the severe restrictions on the literature you can bring in.
Practically nothing, not even your faithful Lonely Planet guide.
Not only could it be confiscated, but if they find it during an inspection at the airport in Lhasa and you failed to declare it they can actually deny you entry to Tibet!!!!
I'm definitely not going to risk it.
It would be stupid, after so many years that I'm longing for this trip that has been my dream since like forever!
The alternative is making photocopies of the pages of the places we're going to visit and if they ask what they are we can easily show them there's nothing political in them, or maybe just study everything before we get there and try and remember....
Shouldn't be to difficult, after all when I was in high school my Art professor taught us how to memorize just about everything!
He was famous for being terrifyingly severe.
He used to call you out for a random interrogation, tell you the name of an obscure artist and ask you to talk about him.
9 out of 10 you had no chance of knowing who this person was and when you gave up the prof just gave you a 4 (an F in the american system) and sent you back to your desk. And that 4 remained until the end of the year when you had to study like a fool not to be failed.
I remember my very first interrogation, he told me a name I've never ever heard before (and I had studied hard), but since it sounded greek I thought it could have been either a painter or a sculptor so I tried my luck with sculptor and got it right!!! Even the prof was stunned that I actually knew the answer and he looked at me rather surprised and asked me to go ahead.
Obviously I really knew nothing about this guy sculptor but since the guessing game was evidently on my side that day I went on with it. I think I blubbered out a coupe of things that can be said for any sculptor of that era and after a couple of minutes the prof said ok and asked me something much easier. I went back to my desk with an 8 (and A).
I wasn't always lucky so I too had to study hundreds and hundreds of pages, endless names of artists whose production was sometimes just one remarkable piece and a few psychotic episodes....
So here comes my skill at memorising data.
Wikipedia is obviously also banned but I might be able to check the online version of the LP guide.
Ok, better get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment