Friday 8 July 2011

Sydney on a winter day

Back from scorching-hot-43-degrees-but-no-humidity-still-hot-nonetheless Rajasthan I ventured today in wintery-mild-not-too-cold Sydney.
It was a glorious sunny day, not a cloud to be seen in the sky and therefore slightly colder than yesterday, especially in the morning. But the afternoon was mild as usual, nothing compared to european winters. You can easily go out with a woollen jumper and be comfortable in the middle of winter.
Mind you, you'll always see the odd exception around, today I saw one girl with a canada goose jacket, mittens, scarf and a woollen beanie and 100 m further there was a woman with a saree and t-shirt.
It's always very peculiar to go back to your own country after having spent a bit of time in Asia. I'm talking price wise. You go to Jodhpur and you can have the best lassi in the world for less than 25 cents. You go to Sydney and you can get yogurt for 5 dollars. I guarantee you that your normal reaction will be:"What???? I'm not paying that!!!!".
Today I actually rolled my eyes at the "outrageous" prices of shampoos and conditioners. Am I really supposed to spend 6 $ for a shampoo when I can get 3 meals for that much money in Bikaner?
It will pass though.
It will fade more and more until one day I will not even blink when I will have to pay 70 $ for a jumper, heck I will actually think it's a bargain!
Eh, good old Asia, I wouldn't live there though, I miss my things too much. I can easily live with a bare minimum, I did so for years when too skint to go shopping to the supermarket, but I always knew it was a temporary situation and when I went back on track I had no withdrawal syndrome.
But knowing that there's no way you can get a good dish of pasta in a place simply because you're 200 miles away from the closest village and even that one has probably never stored Barilla.... well, I could do that only if knowing that it's not definitive.
That's why I enjoy travelling, cause I know that in the end I will have a big different "home" to compare my travels to. In that way I will appreciate "home" more, cause I will know how dear it is and how privileged I am.
It might be banal but it's true.
Anyway Sydney was so beautiful today! Pitt Street Mall is almost done, I sat in front of the shops on one of the new benches watching some kids performing very basic street dance moves, sipping on my Hot Taro Milk Tea by EasyWay (I'm addicted!), browsing through the last book I bought (yes I bought more books, it's my thing, get over it!), a Japanese thriller that has been declared a literary case in Japan. That catch line was all I needed to convince myself to buy it. That, and the fact that it was 20% off, let's be honest, I'm still in post-Asia syndrome.
I bought some bling to fight the holidays blues (a girl needs some bling! well, at least this one does!) and went back home only slightly annoyed at the usual 12 minutes delay on the Western Line (used to the hours delay of public transport in Asia, see there are good side effects as well!).
And tomorrow is weekend so enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment