Friday 15 July 2011

Of botched botox and other stereotypes

Have you ever wondered how come when for whatever reason you go to a plastic surgeon the receptionists always, and I mean always, display some of the doctor's finest work?
Well, Steve and I had to go to his hand surgeon, let's call him Ron.
First of all as soon as you get to the place it's a bit disappointing, you expected a mansion with water fountains and ultra modern furniture and what you see is actually a very small rented space out of a building with no garden and no water cooler, let alone any water feature.
Then you make your way to the receptionist and off course everyone calls you by name, not only you but the receptionist calls the doctor by name. "Ron told me you would have been here today"..."I'll tell Ron to write the letter"... "Ron...Ron... Ron...". Call me old fashion, but all this instead of making me feel more at ease is actually making me feel ripped off. I mean, if this guy can't even get his receptionist to show him some respect, it's got to be over rated! Even at the shabbiest hospital doctors aren't called by their names!
Anyway, I can't really complain since I'm not the patient and we're not paying one single cent, so I'll just say that I hope he's as good as the health insurance thinks he is.
And then it hits me, gradually though, I look at the first receptionist's slightly uneven eyebrows, particularly when she's expressing surprise and scepticism as Steve explains that he should have an appointment. That eyebrow is freakishly high! It almost touches her hairline (just like in the last movie with Jennifer Aniston btw)! That can't be right!
Then, stricken with suspicion I turn around to look closely at the second receptionist but she's facing away from me. In a second she turns over and I'm speechless: those must be the biggest lips I've ever seen in my life! I'm curious to hear her talk now cause I seriously doubt she can utter a word with those!
To my disappointment she doesn't say anything, but I can't grieve on that too much since there's a third receptionist coming towards us and I'm starting a little guessing game with myself, nose job? boobs? lypo?
Nope, she looks normal... let me have another look, nope, nothing done.... ummm, maybe she's too young... She sits at the desk and asks a few questions to botched botox and then looks at us and says:"Forgive me, it's my first week and I'm still learning a few things". Ahhhh, ok, you're new... give it time then!
Jokes a part, we're very glad everything's going ok with Steve's injury, at least one good thing this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment