Monday 4 July 2011

Bangkok airport (am I having an deja vu???)

After the 3 hours flight from Kathmandu we are in Bangkok with an incredibly dark sky, seriously menacing storms complete with thunders and noisy gushes of wind.
I've been here before.
Between Steve and I there's this joke that every time I'm in Bangkok I send him a sms to say that I'm here... again... and again... and again....
I don't know how many times I'e been here.
Seriously I stopped counting.
The thing is that it's the best connection between Australia and all the flights to any destination in Europe.
And as I've said before, I like it.
I know this airport very well now, I know where to find free wi-fi (the Billion cafe' between gates C and D), I know where to get a nice foot massage (in front of Boots...yes there's a Boots!!!), I know where to find the best Tom Yum Goong (well. I won't tell you thins otherwise everyone will go there and it won't be so good anymore).
In a few words it's becoming homely.
We have a few hours to kill before we board the flight to Sydney and I try and work on the photos while Steve has some dinner.
There's this couple sitting right next to us.
She is trying her best to copy Angelina Jolie's pouting.
As a matter of fact she's trying so hard I think her lips are kind of stuck in that position for ever.
I can't help feeling a strong dislike for this wannabe glamour girl. She's looking at the waitresses and waiting for them to look at her back probably to order something but what she doesn't know is that here it doesn't work like that.
If you want something you have to call them.
And she's pouting again,... oh jeez I think one of the waitresses thinks she's sending them kisses cause they're laughing now!
Well, she has one of these things that looks like a small iPad but it's only for books and I heard that it can contain literally thousands of books in the memory card.
I sigh since Steve and I when we were both in Udaipur and in Kathmandu have bought a few books (as usual) and now our luggage has gone up to 41 kilos. We didn't buy that much more in souvernirs and I'm willing to believe all those kilos are due to the books we bought.
20 of them, maybe more I don't know.
Well, is it our fault if Kathmandu has the best and most comprehensive bookstore I've ever seen????
That's right! Pilgrims Book House. Try it!
They have books I never even dreamed about finding!! Books you might have to pay hundreds of dollars and wait for months before getting them out of amazon.
We're quite proud about our shopping!
Even though we were supposed to go to Tibet, and in the end managed to go to India, I found a Mala (rosary beads used by Buddhists), a tibetan singing bowl (not very good at it yet but I'm practicing), a vajiya (also used by the monks), a painting of a Mandala (depicting the Wheel of Life), some dodgy fridge magnets (off course!!!), presents for family and friends and Steve even found a Nepal soccer team t-shirt!
But most of all I'm happy I found a prayer wheel with Tara! That one is going in our entry as soon as we get back home!
Ok, we didn't go to Tibet, but we had a very good trip and we enjoyed Rajasthan even in spite of the summer heat, and overall I'm also very satisfied with the sights in Nepal, since the first time I was there I was not aware of many of the things we now found out thanks to our hotel owner. Never stop learning, never stop exploring!!

No comments:

Post a Comment