Saturday 14 May 2011

4 weeks baby 4 weeks!!!

...and we're panicking...
I knew that having so much time would have been deleterious!
When I'm planning a trip well ahead of its departure date I don't do much cause I always think I've got plenty of time and now, well, 4 weeks from now we'll be in sweltering Kathmandu and of course I'm starting to panic cause there's still so many things to prepare.
Ok, deep breaths and focus, it's not so bad.
We did have a few set backs with the plane tickets, all solved now, and another few unexpected technical problems with our electric equipment (apparently nothing works above 4000 m, a part from your camera, which is cruel, cause you cannot store the photos you're taking and you'll be forced to be very critical in how many shots you take... which is something I'm definitely not), but a part from that everything is proceeding according to plan... that is IF we get the travel permits which is always a bit of a mystery for Tibet.
Still I feel as if something was missing. Maybe it's because we still don't have the Diamox, or because we still don't know how to safely store the photos and videos we're going to take (and now there will be even more photos since I bought Steve as an early b'day present a nice DSLR), or because we haven't made a list of things to pack yet, or cause we don't know how to get info on what we're going to visit, since the Lonely Planet guide is not allowed over there. Or maybe I just feel like this cause I stuffed up the seafood risotto I was supposed to serve later for lunch.... no more seafood, it's got to be pumpkin instead!
Anyway 4 weeks is not exactly tomorrow and we have so many nice things to look forward to here in Sydney: the most beautiful festival of the year "Vivid Sydney" will start on May 27th and go on until the middle of June and I can't wait to rush down to the Opera House at night to take photos of the fantastic lights and colours they're going to shine on it.
And then there's the running, the 6 kms we try to run every other day to keep fit for Everest Base Camp, although I had to slow down last week due to my ever present back and neck ache.
And let's face it, trying to figure out things like "jeez I'm going to take thousands of photos, where am I going to save them if I can't use my HD?" is kind of fun!! And forcing yourself to tear off the pages of the LP guide you will need, cause you cannot take the whole lot, albeit so naughty, it's the kind of naughty that makes you go "hi hi hi, I'm tearing pages off the Lonely Planet guide and I don't even feel guilty about it!!" I always wanted to do that! And I know that out there there's someone else going "oh yeah, me too!", especially if you're going on a 6 months trip around the world, ending up visiting a dozen countries... are you really supposed to be packing all those heavy and bulky books? How about another pair of underwear instead?
I know, I know, guidebooks are sacred for travellers, I'm just mightily upset at LP for being so "fair and square" that their guides are not allowed in Tibet. Ok, let's go back to memorise a few facts..... so that at least we will know the difference between a chorten and a gyel!

No comments:

Post a Comment