Sunday 13 May 2012

...and who would have thought!

I was reading the last posts about Burma, not that there's that many of them, just 2 to be exact.
I realised that it looks a bit "bloggus interruptus", since we started blogging from the airport in Sydney just before boarding the plane to Bangkok and then we blogged a couple of days later when I magically had a very good and fast internet connection in Bagan.
Now, since what happened was that Bagan was only our second stop after only one day in Yangon, where I could see that wi-fi was not absolutely impossible to find, I rushed to sum up the two recurrences and I thought to myself, well what do you know, they have internet in Burma! all right then, I can blog anywhere I want.... WRONG! they do NOT have internet everywhere in Burma, it is NOT that easy to find it even in the biggest cities, and when you eventually DO find a place that claims they have internet do NOT believe them until you actually see someone using it. And the fact that many kids are playing on the computer does NOT mean that they have internet access, they might just be playing the computer games but NOT online!
I know that it sounds a bit redundant, but I was hoping to express the deep frustration that took over me just about all the time as soon as we left Bagan.
I mean, Bagan has free wi-fi even at the airport for goodness sake! Literally at the airport, you walk to your bag, or rather your bag walks to you, suspended by the arms of one of the airport employees that first checks your tag and then gives you the bag, good service ain't it, and you can send an email, publish a blog post, update your status in facebook and upload a photo at the same time! Granted,a it takes a while, it's not so fast, but ti works! And maybe I should explain that the aforementioned Bagan Airport is one of the smallest airports I've ever seen! And I've travelled domestically in 13 countries in Asia, seriously, not even Pokhara in Nepal! In Bagan you land with your plane, not many airlines there, just a couple and make sure you take "Yangon Airways", it has the highest safety rating, you exit the aircraft by climbing down the stairs, you walk 20 metres to your right, then take a left and walk for another 20 metres and you're at the arrivals......
When you realise that you look back to make sure that the aircraft hasn't knocked down some of the structure while parking...
If you wait a bit before entering the hall you will see another aircraft landing, turning and parking, the sound is amazing! It reverberates so much that it makes your stomach go whooooo!
And this airport has free wi fi, was I wrong to assume that if such a small place has free wi fi the possibility to find other connections later on in the trip would have been slightly higher than close to zero?
Well, too late fro blaming me now, that's how it went.
Besides I did take advantage of the wi fi in Bagan, if not for blogging I did upload a lot of photos on facebook where I created the project "Burma, stories through a lens", and I chose the John S lens of the Hipstamatic app for all the photos I took with my mobile.
Of course I was also taking photos with my usual camera and those ones have finally been edited and uploaded in Flickr (the next post will have the link to that).
Anyway to cut a long story short, we didn't blog from Burma because we almost never found a working internet connection.
It might be different now, while we were there places were being built, structures and facilities prepared for the seemingly huge flow of tourists expected this year, thanks to the fact that Burma has been appointed as one of the 10 top destinations in the world by the Lonely Planet (one of the main reasons Steve and I wanted to go there before the chaos will begin and transform this magnificent country in yet another goldcoast-fiji-phuket-bali).
But now it seems like a good time to publish a couple of posts about how it went, how we got extremely frustrated at times and how we got to see amazing landscapes and meet wonderful people... now, I mean, AFTER we recovered from it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment